Hunt for Claypot Chicken Rice

Claypot Chicken Rice, one of my many favorite foods, a dish that's evergreen to most people. I used to enjoy one such stall at the PJ Old Town hawker center during the early days. However, there was no continuity by his family members, and it disappeared into the sunset. Since then, there are some that are still around, like the famous one in Pudu, another in a shack in PJ Old Town opposite the market, Damansara Jaya etc
Recently, I came across Veng Soon Claypot Chicken Rice, and they have been around for a while. Every time I passed this shop, I never knew that it was a Claypot Chicken Rice stall, there were heaps of steamers and I assumed that they sold Dim Sum in the morning. Later I realised that it was for steam soup to accompany the claypot chicken rice



We ordered a 2-person portion which was big enough for 3 persons and a steam soup. The rice was fragrant, and the chicken was tenderly cooked and moist. We added salted fish to the pot, truly salty enough to give the oomph. More importantly, the "farn chew" (or burnt rice stuck to the pot) was very shiok. I practically cleared the pot of its burnt rice. The soup, water cress with pork ribs were boiled to satisfaction. Overall, the food was quite good and flavorful with the right balance, not too salty.
I now have found another Chicken Claypot Rice Stall to satisfy my cravings.



Comments