Singapore Teochew Hawker -- Bak Chor Mee

Having done a Filipino cuisine last week, I decided to try a Singaporean place, Singapore Teochew Hawker in Damansara Utama, allegedly famous for its Bak Chor Mee. 
When I was working in Singapore, one of my comfort food was their Bak Chor Mee and Singapore Hokkien Mee (also available here, in Section 17, PJ). I managed to find this place serving Bak Chor Mee and headed on to try their noodles
Shop front located opposite Starling Mall

It's a simple no frill shop that sells a variety of noodles ala Singapore style. You can opt for some side local dishes as well. 

Since we came for their specialty, we ordered a bowl of Bak Chor Mee and a fish slice noodles (different from the usual fish noodles with milk based soup)
 
Fish Noodles & Bak Chor Mee

To enjoy Bak Chor Mee, it has to be mee pok noodles and "kon lo" or dry noodles. Firstly the portion is relative large and good enough for a hearty meal. The minced pork is quite flavorful and I suspect the fish balls are self made, as you can taste the fish meat rather that mixed with flour. We ordered a mild spice noodles but still quite spicy.
The fish noodles comes with thick slices of mackerel fish and some fish cake slices mixed with yellow noodles and beehoon. the soup was tasty enough though I thought a bit too much MSG. 
I was surprised they offered chawan mushi as a side dish and I was curious to try. Unfortunately, this dish is a slight disappointment, you get much better chawan mushi at any given Japanese restaurant. 

To finish off our meal, I ordered a sea coconut with longan dessert.

While there's no comparison with the Bak Chor Mee you get in Singapore, I would say that this place is satisfactorily good enough to get my fix. At least I wouldn't need to fly all the way down south to satisfy my craving.












 

Comments